Simple doesn’t mean simplistic when it comes to website design. Simple means that all the unnecessary elements are absent. The focus is on what’s important. The message is clear. That’s why simple, clean websites are effective in talking to their audience and getting the message through.
Simple doesn’t equate to boring either. In fact, simple is more beautiful because there are no distractions.
Advantages of Simple Websites
- Easier Navigation – Usability is a crucial factor of website’s success or failure. Navigation usability problems are common in larger, more complex websites but also in sites with complex designs, cluttered interfaces and ineffective layouts. Simpler websites have typically less pages and the navigation tends to be more straight forward. Navigation consistency, which greatly improves usability, is easier to maintain with simple, clean websites.
- Faster Load Time – Simple designs generally result in smaller file size. That, in turn, translates into faster load time again improving user experience.
- More “Scannnable” Content – When the distractions minimal, the content takes center stage. The focus stays on what’s important. Simple websites are a lot easier to scan making them much more effective then sites with cluttered layouts or intricate designs. As such, simple designs tend to be more user-friendly.
- Faster/Easier Design Process – There is no doubt that simpler, cleaner websites take less time to build. Designing a site with a simple layout, one or two page templates, and simple typography is a lot quicker then building a site based on multiple templates, calling multiple style sheets, using complex typography. Especially if you start with a bit of wireframing. The initial design process and future maintenance needs are streamlined, making it more cost effective. Just make sure to keep the code as simple as the design is.
- Less Server Space – Simple website mean smaller file size. This means that your site will take up less server space and bandwidth than more complicated designs. And that is money in your pocket. You simply won’t have to invest huge amounts of money into hosting a site that is clean and simple.